Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Most decrepit book of the day

Somehow I found myself dreaming about blogging last night. Yikes. I'd been asking myself for days now about what I could "discuss" on my blog, and apparently the issue made it's way into my subconscious mind...scary, huh? And then this morning as I was working in our terrific Explore Collection I found a book that was particularly beat-up and it came to me. I can, from time to time, post the title of the book I've found to be the most used and abused. Which by the way, we actually like to see in the Explore Collection. It means that the books are actually being read and enjoyed by our most loyal public! Whether or not this means that the book was particularly fascinating, an award winner or just had the most fascinating cover, I'll leave for others to decide. My plan is to simply give the title, the author and maybe from time to time an extremely brief review taken from the cover of the book. My intention is to comment mostly on the condition of said books and marvel at the fact that people can be so hard on them! The last thing I want to do is "compete" with another blogger friend of mine, Joe over at captainill.blogspot.com/ and try in any way to be witty or brilliant here. I'll leave that up to the more seasoned professional here at SIL!!



Today's most beat-up book is "The Killing Moon" by Chuck Hogan. The book has been so well read that the spine is broken in 3 places, the back cover is convex, the pages are wrinkled and the cover itself is worn. In my humble opinion the cover art isn't particularly scintillating, but according to Booklist, the book is "Riveting".

Before I depart here for the day, I'd like to give a very special "Thanks!" to Groovelily over at Starfish and Coffee for her help this morning!

3 comments:

groovelily said...

Working in collection development, I often get to go to various branches to weed the collection. It is amazing the condition of some books. They somehow make it back onto the shelves waterlogged, stained or covered in some unknown substance. And your welcome, glad to help out.

Unknown said...

It's great to find something you can blog about...
Joe's is definitely fun to read!!

Captain ILL said...

Such kind words bring a tear to Captain ILL's eye. Not the words about stains and unknown substances though. :=&