Thursday, March 27, 2008

No stand outs today

While there wasn't a clear "winner" in the pile of deletes from the Explore Collection today, one did have a little water damage to the pages that caught my eye. While I know that there could be several ways this could happen, it made me think perhaps it may have been read while the patron was lounging in the bathtub. Which then got me to thinking (uh oh!).

I thought about how the enjoyment of reading a book, while lounging in a warm bath (or hot tub) is something that seems to me to be only possible with the "written page" and not a "screen", or any other type of "electronic gadget" that one might use to listen to/read a book. Not only is there a fear of electrocution in many cases, but think about the cost of replacing said "electronic gadget" should it fall into the tub, vs. the price of any mass market paperback, or even a more expensive hardback. I don't know about anyone else, but for me, just the fear of possibly dropping anything more than an actual book into a tub of water (with or without me in it) is enough to take the "relaxing" right out of an otherwise enjoyable bath.

Then my thoughts rambled on to this blog and any possible discussion that could arise from all of my musings and I thought of a topic. Does anyone have a "most interesting place I've ever read a book" they'd like to share? And bare in mind that we here at SIL are to be considered a "family audience", so keep it clean folks. Pun intended as the bathtub is quite possibly the most interesting place I believe I personally have ever read a book, unless you include numerous Dr.'s offices, train/bus stations/airports etc., around the country. Even reading many books while curled up in the salon area of a boat, in the middle of Lake Roosevelt, doesn't quite pass as truly interesting to me. Relaxing, yes, interesting? maybe not. I'm hoping that perhaps someone out there has a truly interesting place they've read a book and is willing to share it, even if it's just interesting to you personally. :-) And maybe in the process it'll spark a memory in me as to a more interesting place I've read one.

"So many books, so little time" Jazzergigi

2 comments:

thisandthat said...

I recall many years ago reading a book while on a ferris wheel at a county fair. I had taken a book along to amuse myself during the long wait in various lines, and when I got to the ferris wheel I was so engrossed in the book that I did not want to put it down. So, I have fond memories of reading "Pride and Prejudice" while atop a giant ferris wheel.

Jazzergigi said...

I love it! That's a perfect example of what I was looking for. Thanks thisandthat! :-)