Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Wiki Wiki where's the wiki?

Besides just being plain fun to say the word, I can see where Wiki's can be totally useful. Wow, I can really see them being used by teachers/students. A great place on the web for everyone in one "arena" to go to gather info. as well as input it. I can see the drawback if "control" is really needed, but I'm sure that issue will (if it hasn't already) be addressed somehow. Another issue could be "organization". Some of the Wikis I looked at appeared terribly disorganized to me. At a glance it was hard for me to decide where to look first and even what exactly the info. was that the Wiki intended to convey...So as far as I'm concerned, there should probably be one person who actually "maintains and organizes" the Wiki, (a "Wiki Master") even though anyone/everyone in the group could (and even should) theoretically add to it.

It might be an interesting tool for Acquisitions as a "manual" of sorts, being that things are constantly changing in the actual processes of ordering, etc. within our dept. There are 4 of us who do the job(s), but we aren't always all here at the same time to hear the same info. being shared. The drawback could be that someone would have to always remember to go put the info. on the Wiki as changes occurred. Not to mention the fact that we'd each have to remember to check the Wiki for updates, although RSS Feeds could probably help with that! :-) That aside however, if it were kept up-to-date, and if it were kept nicely organized! I think that once it was up and going and everyone was used to using it, it could truly be extremely useful. It would simply be a matter of someone starting it. BTW -Don't look at me, I'm just the "idea" girl! lol

No comments: