Monday, June 9, 2008

Poddcasts

I just seemed to stumble from one weird podcast to another. I signed-up for an account with Mevio and searched the topic of library. I found some podcasts done by Emory Libraries entitled "Woodruff Library Survival Guide". Once I got past the shock of having only audio, no video, I tried to listen to one about the myths of libraries and librarians. Unfortunately the audio was too low on the production and no amount of turning up the volume could bring it up to where I could comfortably listen. My next word search for library brought up something called "Dr. Pus presents Library of the Living Dead". With the subtitle Zombies can't read. Hopefully you can. Now with a title like that one knows going in it's bound to be strange, but sometimes one's curiosity (or mine at any rate)tends to overtake one's common sense...so I listened. No way for me to describe the song I heard here, but suffice it to say Dr. Pus seems to have many voices in his head. Maybe he has them filed by dewey decimal number? because I couldn't find any reference to a real library there at all.

Next I figured I'd just peruse the site to see what I could find, and this time I searched the Video ones only. I found an interesting video podcast on getting applications for your iPhone (which would have been more helpful if I had one!), and lastly looked at a rather humerous one called "If Britney was my Mom". Funny song and video that is!!

Much like YouTube, I can definitely see how podcasting can be a very powerful teaching tool. More people can be reached using this method, because everyone is free to watch whenever they can fit it into their schedule. No having to be somewhere at a certain time. And it's conceivably saved for all time and eternity. Fun to imagine people in the future watching and learning about history as it unfolded from those who actually lived it.

No comments: